Mornings are better with gluten-free Mixed Berry Scones. Perfect with your favorite dairy-free latte or hot tea.
Makes 6 scones
- 4 Enjoy Life Foods Mixed Berry Chewy Bars
- 2 C. + 2 T. Enjoy Life Foods Muffin Mix, plus more for dusting
- 1 t. orange zest
- 1/4 C. allergy-friendly shortening, room temperature
- 1/4 C. + 1 T. dairy-free milk, divided
- 1 t. cider vinegar
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract
- 2 t. organic cane sugar
- 1/2 t. ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut 3 of the Mixed Berry Chewy Bars into 1/2-inch pieces. Finely chop the remaining Mixed Berry Chewy Bar.
- Put the Muffin Mix in the bowl of a food processor. Add the orange zest and pulse about 5 times to combine. Add the shortening and pulse about 8 times, until it is distributed throughout the mixture and in fine crumbs.
- Mix 1/4 cup of the non-dairy milk with the cider vinegar and vanilla extract in a small cup. Drizzle the mixture into the food processor, pulsing just until the mixture sticks together. Use a spoon to stir in the 3 chopped Mixed Berry Chewy Bars.
- Scrape the dough onto a clean workspace dusted with Muffin Mix. Pat the dough into a circle about 8-inches in diameter and 1 1/2-inches high. Put the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, mixing to combine. Brush the dough with the remaining 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk, then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Top with the remaining Mixed Berry Chewy Bar, pressing gently into the dough. Cut the dough into 6 triangles with a sharp knife.
- Transfer the triangles to the prepared baking sheet, leaving them still in a circle, but spread about 1/2-inch apart from each other.
- Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of a scone comes out clean. These brown quickly, so check around 12 minutes and tent with foil if needed.
Let the scones cool on the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature, and store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days at room temperature.