Gingerbread Spice Caramel Corn
With this yummy gluten-free snack, you'll satisfy both sweet and salty cravings.
Makes about 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn
- 1 box (170g) Enjoy Life Foods Gingerbread Spice Soft Baked Cookies, broken into pieces
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup vegan buttery spread
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup fancy molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the coconut oil or other oil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to medium-high heat. Add three kernels. Once the kernels pop, reduce to medium heat. Add the remaining kernels, and shake the pot to coat them with the oil. Cover the pot. Let cook until the kernels begin to pop, then reduce to medium-low heat. Continue to cook, shaking the pan frequently, until the popping has slowed down. Remove from heat. Pour the popcorn into a large bowl. Add the crumbled Gingerbread Spice cookies. Mix to combine.
- Put the brown sugar, buttery spread, agave nectar, and molasses in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring once mid-way. Remove from heat, and stir in the ginger, vanilla extract, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Mix well (it will foam), then working quickly, pour the mixture over the popcorn mixture. Mix until the popcorn is well-coated.
- Spread the mixture in a single layer. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, taking it out of the oven between 40 to 60 minutes if it is starting to burn. Let cool completely in the pan (it will harden as it cools).
- Serve, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or the freezer for up to 1 month.