Can’t get enough of our dairy-free baking mixes? This gluten-free, vegan version of a childhood favorite is sure to win over the entire crowd!
Makes about 8 servings
For the ‘Bath:
- 12 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Soft Pretzels:
- 1 box Enjoy Life Foods Pizza Crust Mix
- 1 tablespoon mild olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 to 1 1/4 cup cold water, as needed
For the Coating:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Being to heat the water for the ‘bath’.
- To make the Soft Pretzels, put the Pizza Crust Mix in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and 1 cup of the cold water, stirring until a soft, but workable, dough forms, adding the additional cold water as needed.
- Pull off baseball-sized pieces of dough. Roll each piece into a “snack”, about 1-inch diameter. Cut the snake into 1 1/2-inch pieces, smoothing the ends of each one. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Once the ‘bath’ water is boiling, stir in the baking soda, sugar, and salt. Add pieces of dough into the pot, working with just enough at a time as to not overcrowd them. Boil for about 30 to 45 seconds. Remove the pieces with a slotted spoon, shaking off excess water. Put the pieces on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
- Bake for 13 to 16 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
- After cooling, half of the granulated sugar and ground cinnamon in a medium ziplock-top bag, mixing to combine. Dip each Soft Pretzel in the melted coconut oil, shaking off excess, then shake it in the cinnamon sugar mixture, doing about 6 at a time. Put the coated Soft Pretzel back on the wire rack. Repeat with remaining pretzels, replenishing the cinnamon-sugar mixture as needed.
- Serve warm, or store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, reheating until warmed through before reserving.